Monday, January 11, 2010

Internship 3

1. What skills would you like to develop at your site?
2. What interests do you have regarding the work done at your site?
3. What needs can you address (needs your mentor has, your company has, etc.) based on your skills and interests?

At my site, I'd like to put my newspaper writing skills to use in real life application. I learned how to write in newspaper format through the 1st semester as a junior, but I'm still not entirely sure that I know everything as a newspaper writing (which is expected, I'd consider myself still fairly new to this style of writing). My mentor has given me a newspaper bible which is full of norms and rules with the newspaper world, i.e. what to and what not to put in the newspaper, how to organize facts, etc., which will help me on the way.

I like how the work is done around the site. In this office, there are several rooms and sets of people work in each room at their own desk. The Light is a small office, with quite a small staff, which makes it more personal, not to mention how well people can communicate with each other easily this way.

I live in La Jolla, so I am interested in what goes around in my neighborhood. This is, naturally, put up in the La Jolla Light. That's an interest in what the site does already: Inform me, as a La Jolla resident and an intern about the happenings around my environment (how should i word that to make myself sound like a human?) For a project, I've already decided I am going to create a story (or perhaps multiple, if I get the chance) created all by myself, from the initial reporting to the final story. Already, I am working on a project like this, about 2 children who have won the World JiuJitsu Championships recently that live in La Jolla. So far, I have interviewed them (mostly their coach and dad), taken pictures, and even started writing drafts for the final story. However, I have a ways to go before it can even be considered good enough to put in the Light paper.

What to do when I have concerns involving my internship? Say I don't know what to do one day. I can, to start off, figure out something to do, like finishing a blog or an unfinished story. Or, I can just express my concerns by just asking her anything that might not come across clearly to me. After all, there's no such thing as a stupid question, right?..

Alternate Project Ideas (if I don't have enough time to write my own article) include helping with photography for other articles, or helping write briefs or calendar entries in the paper. Most likely, this won't happen, but I'm not going to assume anything just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment