Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Photo Essay



This picture shows one of the signs put above the computer on someone's wall. It says "Our job is not to judge if they're right or wrong. Our job is just to lend voice to their stupidity." I took a picture of the sign the first full day of internship that I was here because it's true: The job of a news-writer is to give information about both sides of the story, even if one of the sides is, well, stupid. Since everyone has a different opinion, you can't tell right from wrong in the news business.



My time as an intern was a spontaneous experience. Perhaps fortunate for us, the unusual weather sported opportunities for weather-related news stories (i.e., some of the largest waves ever seen at La Jolla Cove, strong wind gusts blowing over king palms). Because of this, often, I’d be sitting at my intern desk, blogging or putting things into the San Diego Suburban News . The next thing I know I’m told to go to downtown La Jolla and photograph a breaking news story. Luckily, I had a car to assist me in taking me places, and a hand-me-down Canon Rebel EOS to take the photos needed for news stories. At one point I went out and took pictures of the gusted ocean, crashing against the wall at Children’s Pool. However, my side view mirrors were in the way, creating a self-portrait that I thought of as a fair depiction of my experience the three weeks.


Taken from one of the highest points in La Jolla, Mount Soledad. Depicted is the target audience for the La Jolla Light and San Diego Suburban News papers. The point of the La Jolla Light and any local newspaper office is to enlighten the target audience of their surroundings and current events.


A view from the La Jolla Light, which sits atop the Pearl Plaza, a 3 story building on Pearl Street, one of the busier streets in the La Jolla Village. From the view in the office, most of the village can be seen. News and current events can be seen while still sitting at the office. This is what made the La Jolla Light office more unique than the next newspaper office: by giving the office where the news writers and editors work more of a neighborly feel of who they are writing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment